How to Diagnose Eczema
Diagnosing atopic dermatitis can be challenging. If you suspect that you or your child may have atopic dermatitis, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Is the afflicted area red, itchy, or inflamed?
- Is this a recurring symptom?
- Is the rash scaly?
If the answer to any of these questions is, “yes,” then you may have atopic dermatitis. You should consult with a doctor to confirm your suspicions.
How a doctor diagnoses atopic dermatitis
If you suspect that you have atopic dermatitis, you should schedule a consultation with your doctor. In determining whether or not you have atopic dermatitis, your doctor may do the following:
- Gather a detailed history of your medical history
- Take a blood sample for testing
- Conduct a skin biopsy
- Conduct an allergy skin test
Additional tests may be required.